New Lawn Care Survey Shows Americans Aren’t Entirely Sure How to Care for Their Lawns
Survey from the makers of Spectracide® lawn & garden solutions uncovers that homeowners aren’t as well-versed in home lawn care as they think – but they have the power to be
Despite the fact that half (53%) of surveyed
- In response to questions about proper lawn care, most (77%) answered 40% or more incorrectly.
- Similarly, when asked about weeds, most (82%) of the survey’s respondents answered 40% or more of the questions incorrectly.
Spectracide® Products: YOU HOLD THE POWER®
If respondents were being graded on their knowledge, an overwhelming majority would fail – but have no fear because Spectracide® products are here with a variety of solutions to help make it easy for homeowners to maintain their lawns. In conducting the survey, the brand set out to understand where knowledge gaps exist in lawn care and, in turn, empower consumers to take control of their outdoor spaces by providing tips to ensure success.
The Spectracide® lawn care survey, performed by
“Gardening and lawn care are seeing a high level of interest as more people are spending time at home and in their backyards,” said
Many Americans claim to be knowledgeable about lawn care; however, even those who say they are extremely familiar with caring for their lawns (35%) are not always doing so properly. Spectracide brand is here to help:
- The survey indicates: A majority (52%) of consumers are unaware that morning is the best time to water lawns.
- Our Spectracide® experts say: Early bird gets the worm! Water your lawn in the morning before the heat of the day so any excess moisture has plenty of time to dry up before the sun goes down. Watering at night can encourage excess water in the soil, around roots and on foliage, which could create conditions ripe for insects, disease or rot.
- The survey indicates: Some people (37%) incorrectly believe cutting grass shorter means you have to mow it less frequently, while some (27%) incorrectly think they need to water their lawn every morning to maintain optimal health.
- Our Spectracide® experts say: To make sure you are not over-cutting or overwatering, set a schedule that’s easy to follow. Cutting at the right height helps grass get the sunlight and nutrients it needs for a lush, healthy lawn. Mow as often as needed to ensure you’re not cutting off more than one-third of the grass blades at a time – for many lawns, that’s weekly, but some lawns might need mowing more or less frequently. Keep in mind that for most lawns, watering two to three times per week will suffice.
The knowledge gap widens even more when it comes to treating weeds in general – especially with weed control products.
- The survey indicates: Most Americans (74%) do not realize spraying herbicide after mowing the lawn is not an effective way to treat weeds, with some (36%) incorrectly agreeing with the statement: “The more weeds I have in my lawn, the more herbicide I need to use.”
- Our Spectracide® experts say: Know the right weed control products to use and how to use them effectively. For example, use Spectracide® Weed Stop® For Lawns products for controlling lawn weeds or Spectracide® Weed & Grass Killer for killing unwanted vegetation down to the root. Choose the right product for widespread or targeted weed control – whichever your lawn needs. Remember that herbicides work through contact, so treating all plant surfaces at the recommended temperatures from the product label will give you the best results.
With half of Americans (53%) ranking a well-maintained yard as the number-one contributor to curb appeal (outside of the actual house itself), it is evident that proper lawn care is especially important. Spectracide® lawn and garden products are easy to use and fast-acting to give you the power to tame invading weeds and bugs. Spectracide® products are available for purchase at retailers nationwide. For more information, please visit Spectracide.com.
About Spectracide® Products
The power is in your hands to keep your landscape in line – unleash it with Spectracide® lawn and garden products. Our easy-to-use, fast-acting insect, lawn disease and weed control solutions help you tame lawn and landscape invaders with incredible pest-punishing power. Take command with Spectracide® brand. For more information, visit www.spectracide.com.
Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. For the interviews conducted in this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample.